For Rapid Launch:
December 16, 2022
Moira Colley 202-483-7382
New York – Scrubbed web sites, inner investigations, and halted enterprise with farms and slaughterhouses in Vietnam: These are simply a number of the makes an attempt at harm management corporations have made on the heels of PETA Asia’s damning investigation into Vina Prauden—a Prauden-owned down provider for Hole Inc., H&M, Lacoste, and different manufacturers—and Nam Vu, a down provider for GUESS.
The investigation revealed employees at duck slaughterhouses in Vietnam stabbing aware birds within the neck and slicing off their toes whereas they had been nonetheless struggling. Feathers from these services had been later bought below the misleading Accountable Down Commonplace (RDS) label. Panicked company responses embody the next:
- H&M eliminated all animal welfare labels from its on-line choices and erased mentions of the RDS and “accountable down.”
- Nam Vu delisted GUESS as a buyer on its web site and later eliminated its whole on-line checklist of shoppers.
- Prauden claims to have reduce off the a part of its provide chain that features Vietnamese farms and slaughterhouses whereas it investigates. Nam Vu says that it’s additionally reinspecting services.
- Prauden eliminated its checklist of shoppers from its web site (previously right here).
- Textile Alternate claims to be investigating, simply because it does after each PETA exposé, though no modifications within the requirements seem ever to have been made.
“This investigation revealed that employees stabbed geese within the throat and reduce off the toes of aware birds, and now corporations are determined to stroll again their involvement,” says PETA Govt Vice President Tracy Reiman. “PETA is asking on these manufacturers to take motion in a approach that actually counts, which is by ditching down altogether.”
PETA—whose motto reads, partly, that “animals will not be ours to put on”—opposes speciesism, a human-supremacist worldview. Photographs from the investigation can be found right here, and broadcast-quality footage is obtainable for obtain right here. For extra data on PETA’s investigative newsgathering and reporting, please go to PETA.org or comply with the group on Twitter, Fb, or Instagram.