A number of cats have been killed in a giant fireplace that broke out early Saturday morning at a strip mall in Culver Metropolis with a boarding lodge for pets, in line with the Los Angeles Fireplace Division.
A firefighter who “took sick in the course of the intense firefight” was taken to the hospital “in truthful situation for statement,” the Fireplace Division stated in a information launch. No civilian accidents have been reported.
The incident at 9000 W. Venice Blvd. was reported round 5:45 a.m., and firefighters took 73 minutes to comprise and extinguish the blaze. A enterprise named Cat Place LA is situated within the strip mall.
The “main emergency construction fireplace” instantly concerned three companies within the one-story strip mall, in line with the discharge.
“Heavy smoke impacted not less than a half-dozen adjoining companies, together with a feline in a single day boarding facility the place a number of cats have been rescued, however others sadly perished,” the discharge stated. The reason for the fireplace is beneath investigation.
Seventeen cats have been killed within the fireplace and two have been rescued and receiving medical care, in line with ABC7.
“Cat Place LA is a luxurious cage-free lodge solely for cats,” the enterprise’ web site says. “Your loved one cat deserves the perfect therapy while you’re out of city.”