Victor Wembanyama is probably the most hyped NBA draft prospect since LeBron James. The 7’5 sensation from suburban Paris strikes with breathtaking grace and agility across the court docket, exhibiting off probably historic play-finishing and rim-protection instincts whereas additionally effortlessly stroking three-pointers from deep. There’s a case to be made that Wembanyama would go No. 1 general in each draft in league historical past. Now the NBA taking the subsequent step to offer their subsequent massive factor the publicity he deserves.
The NBA will broadcast each one in all Wembanyama’s video games with Boulogne-Levallois Metropolitans 92 this season at no cost on their official app, the league has introduced. Right here’s how the schedule breaks down to this point, extra video games being introduced quickly:
- Saturday, Oct. 29: Boulogne-Levallois Metropolitans 92 at Bourg-en-Bresse, 2 p.m. ET
- Friday, Nov. 4: Limoges at Boulogne-Levallois Metropolitans 92, 3:30 p.m. ET
- Sunday, Nov. 20: Nanterre at Boulogne-Levallois Metropolitans 92, 2 p.m. ET
- Saturday, Nov. 26: Boulogne-Levallois Metropolitans 92 at Nancy, 3 p.m. ET
There’s two concepts at play right here:
1) It’s superior the NBA is giving followers entry to Wembanyama’s video games. We didn’t have this selection when Luka Doncic or Josh Giddey or Deni Avdija have been on their approach to turning into lottery picks in recent times. That is one thing the league ought to proceed doing sooner or later to assist construct the model of worldwide stars coming into the draft.
2) It’s hilarious that the NBA is giving Wembanyama such a giant platform in his pre-draft yr after already threatening groups for tanking.
NBA commissioner Adam Silver has known as tanking a ‘critical’ subject that has ignited ‘tons of’ of conferences. Right here’s what Silver stated on tanking final week:
“We put groups on discover,” Silver informed workers. “We’re going to be paying explicit consideration to the difficulty this yr.”
Silver has additionally gone to bat for the NBA’s new lottery system that flattens the chances at drawing the No. 1 general decide for the worst groups within the league. The three worst groups within the league every have a 14 % probability of touchdown the primary decide within the lottery. Within the previous system, the worst crew had a 25 % probability of touchdown the primary decide. Silver stated there’s no excellent answer to the cease tanking for the draft, however stated he thinks the brand new system is the fitting one.
“You’re coping with a 14% probability of getting the primary decide,” Silver stated. “I acknowledge on the finish of the day analytics are what they’re and it’s not about superstition. A 14% probability is healthier than a 1% probability or a no % probability. However even by way of easy odds, it doesn’t profit a crew to be absolutely the worst crew within the league, and even should you’re one of many poor-performing groups, you’re nonetheless coping with a 14% probability [of winning the lottery].
Our previous good friend Tom Ziller as soon as wrote a greater answer to cease tanking as soon as and for all: Kill the draft!
Victor Wembanyama in fact sits atop our first 2023 NBA mock draft. Learn our newest Wembanyama protection right here:
One fortunate crew goes to win the lottery and find yourself with Wembanyama to start out his profession. Simply because he’s top-of-the-line prospects ever doesn’t essentially imply he’s destined to be top-of-the-line gamers ever, in fact. He actually is that proficient, although.
The Wemby hype is actual. Now NBA followers can watch each one in all his video games at no cost earlier than he enters the league subsequent yr.